Friday, April 3, 2009

YOU'RE KILLIN ME


Lauryn Noel Hill AKA Lauryn Hill: A Singer, an actress, a "wife", and mother. As The World Turns as Kira Johnson. In 1993, she starred in Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit as Rita Louise Watson. In the film, she performed the songs "His Eye Is on the Sparrow" (a duet with Tanya Blount) and "Joyful, Joyful". It was in this role that she first came to national prominence, with Roger Ebert calling her "the girl with the big joyful voice". Her other acting work includes the play Club XII with MC Lyte, and the motion pictures King of the Hill, Have Plenty, and Restaurant. After her rise to musical stardom, she reportedly turned down roles in Charlie's Angels, The Bourne Identity, The Mexican, The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions.
What I really wanted to talk about was the remake of he song "Killin me softly with his song", by the fugees. It was deep enough to make me think, but delicate enough to make me rock from side to side.
"Strumming my pain with his fingers
Singing my life with his words
Killing me softly with his song
Killing me softly... with his song
Telling my whole life with his words
Killing me softly... with his song"
Don't you just hate when you feel that the song was "putting you on blast?"
"I felt all flushed with fever, embarrassed by the crowd
I felt he found my letters, and read each one aloud"
Oddly enough I understood exactly what she meant.


No comments: